The New 2018 Summer Season

There's just one week and it'll be time to hit the road once again. A short five day trip to inaugurate the 2018 Summer season. My round trip to and from Forest City, Iowa to pickup Winnie II doesn't count. That adventure was a memory never to be forgotten because of its laughs, "you can't make this stuff up" and "what are the chances" situations all rolled up in one. Beginning the journey on Friday, April 13th, is what will make it stand out forever.  The hurdles have been taken in stride, inconveniences both in time and finances have been overcome and now the anticipation of a summer RVing fills me with a new eagerness for the tons of memories that await me. I've revisited the thousands of photos I've taken in the past four years and I'll always have those along with my past blogs to revisit. The weather has finally been perfect, the trees exploded overnight and threw us right into summer. One of the many memories enjoyed was the scented, perfumed air that accompanied the beautiful blossoms of a tree I haven't had the time to identify. My Monday/Wednesday trips to Sakura in Hastings were so looked forward to. Between driving with my roof open to enjoy the sweet aroma and the incredible sushi presentations of Alex, those trips were heavenly. Yet, for some, the planting season, usually around Memorial Day, has been pushed up a bit just waiting for this great weather and the new growing season.  
Perhaps in my life time I will see the results.
And speaking of growing seasons, my time has been taken up with two new plant projects I'm excited about. A Christmas gift from granddaughter, Beca, will have me growing trees. Ha! They're potted and just beginning to sprout. They'll be passengers that accompany me during my travels because of the constant care they'll require. I think I've got just the right "carrying" container to transport them. 
What used to be a wine carrier will hold my four peat
pots while I travel.



 
The Bristlecone Pine has made its appearance.
Seeds were planted 5/15/2018

Pinus Aristata - Rocky Mountain Bristlecone Pine
Jacaranda Mimosifolia - Black Poui
Picea Abies - Norway Spruce
Delonix Regia - Flame Tree
The second, more easily cared for project, is a gift from friend, Sunny, given on my birthday. It's a succulent called Crassula ovata or "Gollum" "Hobbit" Jade. A couple of spritzes each morning seems to make this little one happy. I hope I get to see it full grown. I think I've identified it  correctly.

So, tending plants, enjoying fabulous dinners alone and with great friends and family, celebrating my XXth birthday, my mother's 99th, shopping for everything needed to get Winnie II into a travel mode, playing several addicting on-line games solo and with friends have kept me well occupied these few non-travel months. They've been full and rewarding. Another "self-improvement" project I started on my birthday was the decision to lose weight. Ha!, you say. Yup, I said the same thing. Been there, tried that, eh? I've settled in on one that seems to be working for me. I researched the popular 5:2 diet where you eat "normally" for 5 days and reduce calorie intake to a mere 500 or 600 per day for 2 days but it didn't appeal to me. Then I came across the 8:16 plan. I won't call it a diet because I'm eating the things I've enjoyed but I eat only during the 8-hour period, noon till 8:00 pm. (I've chosen to stop at 7:00 pm); then I fast until noon the next day, 16 hours later. The withdrawal symptoms I feared did not materialize. My downfall has always been eating/snacking after dinner because I usually don't go to bed until midnight or later. Since May 25th, I've lost 3 pounds which is a big deal...for me; a long way to go...a depressingly long way to go. LOL. While RVing I expect meal planning to be easier now with basically two meals a day.
And now, beginning with the first of the season's RV rallies with the Hudson Islanders in Wurtsboro, NY at the Catskill Adventure RV Resort, I'll get to see and enjoy the company of old friends.  Ray and Kathy are up from Florida as are Vicki and George. Other Hudson Islanders are local and I'm looking forward to seeing them as well. Till then, take care and don't forget to check out some of the tabs above.

See you in Wurtsboro, NY







2 comments:

  1. Deserie Fischer6/04/2018 6:33 AM

    So happy for you Charlie! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deserie. And thanks for stopping by to check out my blog.

      Delete