07/18 - 07/23 Mystic KOA Part One

MYSTIC KOA 7/18-7/23



The 2.5 hr ride up I-95 was going fine despite the traffic, torrential rain and an occasional slowdown for construction. But about 30 miles south of my destination I encountered traffic at a complete standstill. It was there that I remained for the next hour and forty-five minutes in the rain. I didn't move an inch. A jackknifed empty auto carrier had to be removed from our north bound lane.  Fortunately, I was able to visit my bathroom and grab a snack and a drink while I patiently waited. I wondered how folks in the surrounding vehicles held up.

Didn't see any evidence that other vehicles
were involved.
First order of buiness upon my arrival
over two hours late.

The KOA here in Mystic is huge with plenty of activities to keep the little people busy and happy. The individual campsites in my section however were tight.

Site B6 - No shade

Outside temps reached 104°
Once settled it was good to see the Hudson Islanders who were able to make the trip and spend the next few days together. Solo Sue left Sunday, Ray/Kathy and John/Carol/Johnny left Monday leaving Tony/Doreen, Roberta, Walter/Fran and me leaving on Tuesday.

Mike & Chris from New Hampshire visiting for the day
chatting with Tony

Sue, Mike & Chris

Ray

Walter

John & Carol

Tony & Doreen

ACR

Roberta

Johnny Ice Cream

Doreen moved her seat to a better location
out of the sun: in front of me.
To help move the 90° air.


In the absence of Pyro Jack, Tony had the honor
of tending the one and only campfire we enjoyed.
So what if it was 
90°. 
Click this link for a camping tip on  Starting a fire with one match.



Friday Lunch. We had reservations at Latitude 41  in Mystic (spoiler alert...food pix to follow).


L to R. Carol, Chris, Kathy, Sue, Doreen, Fran, Roberta

L. to R. Walter, Tony, Ray, Mike, Johnny, John
Even with the scorching temps outside, the ladies found the AC a tad on the cool side. Their dinner napkins, by the way, were very large and made convenient shawls.


And, of course, the pleasures of dining with friends:

Chuck, our waiter, handled the 14 of us complete
with separate checks, in a most cordial and efficient manner. 

Unstacked

  
Latitude 41 Burger
Staked with French Fries, Beer Battered
Pickles & Onion Ring, Cheddar Cheese,
Lettuce, Tomato, Mayonnaise



My Lobster Mac & Cheese...

... had 3 huge lobster claws buried within

Bread Pudding with dollops of whipped cream
and vanilla ice cream









Saturday, the gang braved the near 90+° and ran into Mystic Seaport to visit the town and Aquarium. I chose to remain in my air conditioned "home." On their way back home, Tony was good enough to pick me up and we joined the rest of the crew at Mystic Pizza 2.

Nice try, Walter
The menu choices were extensive and portions were huge...a lot of take-out boxes made their way back to the campground. Their thin crusted pizzas were outstanding.
Roberta made me do this. I think Ray is questioning
why.  She must know how much
I enjoy pizza. And yes, most of it went back
with me and enjoyed later on.





Later that evening, we went to Twister's in Mystic and enjoy the ever popular summertime cooling off treat...ice cream. It's just a small roadside stand with limited parking but located right on water. Our timing was perfect for the beautiful sunset and as luck would have it a "happy" anchored sail boat provided the perfect silhouette. Wonder who will get the connection.


   


















Sunday and Monday's Activities will follow
in Part Two of my blog.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cuz, Greetings from Southington, CT. How long are you going to be in Mystic? There are some wineries in the area, if you haven't already visited them. Saltwater Farms is pretty close, I think, which has a restaurant nearby (a converted gas station) called the M/Bar. I haven't been, but get emails from them often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a pleasure reading your blog, Charlie! It just reminds me of how much I enjoy the Hudson Islanders! Thanks for sharing! Best, Roberta

    ReplyDelete