My Stay in Florida - Hollywood FL 2020






A mere hop, skip and a jump south, the Hollywood KOA was as close as I could get to RV camping in the Miami area. My beautiful granddaughter, Sara, was the focus for my last visit here in Florida before heading north and back home. Sara is doing graduate work at the University of Miami in the Masters of Professional Science program in the Marine Conservation track. 
With her tight schedule, I'm looking forward to meeting up with her for a Friday lunch. I had to vacate my site in Delray by 11 a.m, the standard time for most campgrounds. Problem was, the KOA in Hollywood has a check in at 3 p.m., a tad later than most campgrounds. The  45 minute drive presented a dilemma: Do I pay $10/hour to stay an extra 3 hours in Delray so I can arrive at 3 p.m? Or do I pay $10/hour to KOA to arrive 3 hours early at noon in Hollywood. Solution: Pay neither and spend the time running to a BJ's on the way to dispose of my recyclables. "Sorry," the greeter says, "we don't recycle." So into the nearby trash container they went. And that's Florida's answer to the disposable plastic problem. Next stop, CVS. Five new photos were printed and added to my "Wall of Shame." Then on to Publix for a few items. To ward off any temptation of purchasing items I knew weren't good for me, 


I first visited a Sushi/Thai restaurant a few doors down. Nakorn Sushi and Bowl. Their 18-page menu of both Japanese and Thai dishes were mouth watering. I had a Dragon Roll and took home their Chicken Teriyaki Don for my first night's dinner.




Yes, that concrete pad painted green
looks like I could step out into a pool.
About 50' behind that fence is
SR 441, a major highway. 

Noise went unnoticed...sounded
like the railroad I was used to
back in Delray Beach.

My site #6 was small and cramped as were most other RVs in this small piece of real estate. At each site there were 4 wrought iron chairs, a table and a fire pit with a grill topper. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd rate this one about a 3 mainly because of ambiance (no grass in sight, $$ for WiFi, cramped sites). This is not a problem because my purpose for being here supersedes my need for comfort. Comfort? I have it within the RV, not without (archaic use of without, sorry).  Right next door is a compact Air Stream Sport. I had a 5-minute chat with owner  Steve as he sat in his black Ram pickup smoking his cigar. He's a 65-year old retired teacher from Worcester, MA and is here for two months. His five years younger girlfriend, Carol, is back home still working. He doesn't smoke inside the camper, they have separate homes but when they're together she too enjoys a cigar with him now and then. Both ride Harleys. He's leaving Saturday and will tow his little camper about 10 miles north to a place that's about $1,200 cheaper than this KOA (that's per month). He will then drive back home to MA. He plans to sell this one but not to his son who has two kids; not big enough. Yes, all this info in a 5-minute chat. You'll find RVers love to share their story thus enhancing your own qualities of being a good listener.

Friday, Sara had early classes and she drove the 23 mile, 35 minute distance to pick me up. We went to one of her favorite places, the Rustic Inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale.  On the way, I had a great view of the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, FL.  
Room rates this time of year: $370-$490/night. The weekend of the
Super Bowl played at nearby Hard Rock Stadium saw the rates
skyrocket to 
$2,045 to $2,245/per night for that weekend.
Sixty years ago the Crabhouse was a roadhouse saloon. Today, an impressive seafood listing, a bib, paper tablecloths, small wooden mallets, fresh caught seafood and plenty of napkins provide patrons with all that's necessary to make seafood aficionados happy. Check the lunch menu HERE.




Outside dining on the patio on the banks of the
Dania Cutt-Off Canal was not available due to
reconstruction of the patio railings. 
Patio dining from their website; a huge restaurant.

Sara's Lunch Combo Platter:This platter includes garlic crab clusters, 
Dungeness Crab cluster,  fried crab cake and
 parsley buttered potatoes.

My Shrimp Scampi over rice; half  of the flavorful
rice came home.

Yes, mommy, she got her crab lunch

One (huge) slice, two forks...thank goodness.

Always busy and well staffed
Saturday night, cousin Norma and friend, Carlo, made the trip down from Boca to take me over to Marimar and the Texas Roadhouse Thank you Carlo for the delicious treat; a most enjoyable dinner.






Norma and Carlo
My 6 oz medium-well Dallas Filet
smothered in onions and
mushrooms; side of  buttered corn.

Tuna Fish Salad on a bun.
Sunday's meals were light. For lunch my own recipe for tuna fish 'salad.'  Using the fresh baked buns provided by the Texas Steakhouse...slider buns would work, I mixed tuna fish with mayo, sweet relish, horseradish and a sprinkle of soy sauce (all amounts to taste). Laid it all on a slice of yellow American cheese and  a filling lunch was complete.

I checked the weather back home and as I write this last blog here in Florida, I see a low of 24° tonight. Here in Hollywood temps will dip down to 66°. 

Sunday, my last day here I look back on yet another memorable adventure in RVing. It all boils down to the weather. Oh, wait, no. It was the dining experiences. No, it was being with terrific people each step of the way. What a neat combination: weather, food (and the drinks that go with it) and friends. And it will continue as I head north with a stopover in Hardeeville, South Carolina to visit more dear friends, Roger and Wendy who live in nearby Bluffton at the ever growing Dell Webb community at Bluffton/Hilton Head, SC. 


I'm all set!!
Friend, Jack, recommends his favorite form
of prevention.









Till then take care, stay well, wash your hands and try to avoid the hysteria provided by the (#@^&*) media.

5 comments:

  1. What a great blog entry. I’m so glad you were able to get in some quality time with Sara. Had I joined you for lunch, I would have ordered the same as Sara.

    Norma looks terrific, God Bless her. Never a compliment without a blessing, as per my Grandmother Mauro, who would have turned 111 this year.

    Safe and smooth travels on your journey north to visit the Arnold’s. Give them both my best regards. ~ vc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish we had a little more time in FL. My nephew Richard works for the Hard Rock in Ft. Lauderdale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say hi to Wendy & Roger for me. I have a miserable cold. I guess I should have hung up thre garlic. M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MSM aside, wash your hands! This ain't no foolin' around virus.

    ReplyDelete