08/23 - 09/08 Croton Point Park

CROTON RV PARK – 08/23 – 09/08



With the conclusion of a wonderful and memorable trip to Amish Country in the Lancaster County area, everyone returned home and to their normal (?) routines of mask wearing and social distancing. Me? I returned to CPP (and was greeted by signage: "Park Users Practice Safe Distancing) to fill the time gap between trips. My next is on 9/8th to Jellystone Park at Birchwood Acres in Greenfield Park, NY. It will be a 1½ hour, 75± miles trip via routes 9, I-84 and NY17. Meanwhile, rather than unload and reload perishables and storing Winnie 20 miles away, I decided to perform my daily routines and obligations from site #39.


Once again, as I look around, the area seems deserted. The long-term trailer park types are still here and now and then, other RVs will enter and leave in a matter of days if not the next day. These photos could very well have been those I used for my last blog here at CPP. The feelings of solitude that are enhanced by the silence are difficult to convey. I know so many people who would benefit from this kind of ‘peace and quiet.’ One has to experience it to appreciate the good that results.


Only the quiet hum of a distant AC is heard to remind you of civilization.


Stella's last day in a cage.
Like me, friends, Vicki and George now residing in Florida, also pulled in on Sunday for their summer stay here at CPP. I got to meet Stella. No, not my neighbor Stella, but if human Stella had the opportunity to meet feline Stella, she would be uplifted to new heights in the cat-adoration world; she's a laid back, gentle adorable creature. Vicki will tell you all about her in one of her forthcoming blogs I'm sure. I'll forward it to you if you're not on her list. As some of you know, she had to put Miss Lucy down awhile back and this link to her latest blog will so nicely describe that love affair. Check it out HERE

Weather was factor in planning the day’s activities. High daytime temps, severe weather warnings including scattered thunderstorms and tornadoes kept me on my toes making sure precautionary measures were taken with regard to loose items outside the coach.  My day to day activities included visits to 150 for showers, mail, watering my plant, shopping, doctor appointments and twice weekly trips to Fishkill to visit my mother. There I was busy keeping both our brains alert playing word games.

On Friday, friends, Trish, Craig and Georgia pulled in from their trip to eastern Long Island for a few days. As with so many memorable times before, that evening we gathered together along with Vicki/George and ordered on line from Sakura in Hastings for sushi. George did the honors of traveling and picking up and we all enjoyed our appetizers, rolls, sides and a delicious dessert made by Trish.

A young(er) Georgia (5 years ago)
 







During my last stay at CPP, I was visited by tropical storm, Isaiah. This time, hurricane Laura having done her damage in the Deep South, has been downgraded to a rainy event currently centered in Kentucky as of this writing. However, it's giving us a dreary day with distant thunder hinting at what's yet to come. A good stay-at-home day to put some thoughts on paper for a blog. One of my big concerns, as with any storm and the potential for a power outage, is the mess from trees above that will shed their weakened twigs, branches and leaves on my roof. To be nestled under a thick green canopy that provides cooling relief from the afternoon heat becomes a double-edged sword when Mother Nature decides to do her thing. With that future burden of wondering "what's on my roof," hanging over my head, my unique and talented RV neighbor and good friend, Craig, also from Florida, came to the rescue. If you know Craig, he's not one to sit around and relax (that would be me). He just can't do it. He's always futzing, fixing and making good things better. While visiting my mother today, he decided to give my roof a thorough cleaning. We had discussed it but unbeknownst to me, today was the day. Again, if you know Craig, "cleaning" doesn't just mean "cleaning"; it's cleaning...and then some. I found out later he'd washed the entire RV. The following photos show the before and after of his work. At first glance, one would think a leaf blower would be all that's needed to rid the roof of leaves. Craig mentioned to me that some areas were showing black and scrubbing would enhance the look.

From the top of the rear ladder looking forward

Out over the extended awning. Note the dull finish of
the black wrap around portion of the awning.

Shower skylight, cooking vent, AC, solar panel and antenna




After the scrubbing, looking down over the front
of the RV and the closed roof vent.

From rear looking forward


From front looking rearward

Note the shiny look of the black wrap around.
A "brand new" look

The port side overlooking the clean topper of the side
slide out and a roof that sparkles.

So, once again, like so many other occasions I've mentioned in my blogs, there's always someone with the right knowledge, experience and attitude to be there when you need anything. On this occasion, a big thank you to Craig. 

Yes, that's a dog; about the size of a rabbit. It did hop rather than walk like a dog so
I think a closer look is necessary. Alas, she was gone the next day so that creature will

remain a mystery.

Another sunset along the Hudson
Well, I blinked twice and guess what? My time here at CPP, fifteen days, has come to an end. Perhaps we are all noticing that the days are flying by, they're getting shorter and there's a hint that changes in Nature are on their way. My Caddy has been returned home to 150; black and gray water tanks dumped and flushed; fresh hot and cold water tanks have been deodorized, flushed and refilled with fresh water; and my rug and outdoor chotskies are put away. And what an incredible day it was to do it. A picture perfect 10. A low humidity temp of 80°, a breeze and a beautifully clouded sky accented with a deep blue background. In the evening, after dinner, a visit over to site 57 and a couple of glasses of wine (again) with friends Vicki and George finished my day. With only an hour and a half, 75 mile, drive tomorrow, all I have to do is bring in my chairs, unplug from the power source and off I go to Greenfield Park, NY, site of Jellystone Park at Birchwood Acres.
And so, till my next blog, where I'm hoping to further enjoy our beautiful New York State, stay well and stay safe.


Thank you, Beca

4 comments:

  1. “We did have some crazy weather, but also amazing, low humidity days. I actually love a rainy day or two as it gives me a chance to catch up on things that need attention inside our RV.

    We enjoyed sharing food, drink, stories and laughter during your time here.

    Until next time, safe travels and happy trails. “
    Be kind.
    VC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Chaz...I think this was a most enjoyable read. Oh, and I love the kitty named Stella which means Star and which she is! That cat can heal any heart. She has a loving expression much like my own kitty Ziggy, also a tabby (the best of cats). In addition to loving the new kit kat, I know I would also love the peace, quiet and tranquility you speak of at Croton Point Park and even envy you for that BUT I know if I were to spend time there I would be depressed by the feral cats down by the dumpster. Perhaps an animal group is servicing them through a catch and release program? I hope so. Don't mean to touch upon sad things but you were the one to bring up cats with the advent of Miss Stella the Feline on the scene. (Also, I'm glad I made it into your blog, ah ha!). Well, this is a most glorious time of the year, and my favorite season, so enjoy Upstate NY as well as the natural bounty that awaits you in New England. Stay well, Stay safe (sorry, gotta say it). And, as always, Happy Trails. The Human Stella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Human Stella, this is Feline Stella’s mom. Just so you know, the feral cats here at the park are very well cared for by a few full-timers and receive cooperation from the staff for the group, Forgotten Felines, to let them catch, neuter/spay and release. They are provided a warm place to escape the cold and rainy times.

      I’ve begun calling Stella, “Stella Bella,” which I’m sure you know means Beautiful Star. Love the name of your kitty. Is he named for David Bowie’s album, Ziggy Stardust? ~ vc

      Delete
  3. Stella reminded me of a former kitty, Little Bit. They have that sweet loving look.
    That guy Craig does nice work.
    Enjoy the season, it's the best.

    ReplyDelete