07-03 Tuesday

1000 Islands Campground, Alexandria Bay, NY













Tuesday, July 3rd.  Another lazy, hot day. The high outside my coach (in the shade) was 92° and the low was 66°. Very comfortable sleeping. We, who were up to enjoy that early morning cup of coffee (7:30-ish), found it to be the perfect time of the day. Sun was up around 5:30 but not yet over the coaches so the shade was perfect and "cool." The debate de jour was about fireworks and dinner plans. Fireworks in Clayton Tuesday night, in Alexandria Bay Wednesday night. Dinner at Bela's (Clayton) or Reily's (Alexandria Bay) Tuesday night...Sunset Cruise out of Clayton Wednesday night. I was in the enviable position to agree with anything and everything with everybody because (that's me and) I'm the one needing the ride to wherever, whenever. Life becomes so much easier that way. The consensus regarding fireworks made that decision for others easy: You've seen fireworks once, you've seen them all, so no pressure to see them. As any Floridian will tell you...especially the Disney-addicted, every night at 9:00 pm, there are fireworks for you. And the decision for dinner? Reily's By The River in Alexandria Bay, 6 minutes, 11 miles to the north. So, off to Alexandria Bay we went.



"In wine there is wisdom,
In beer there is freedom,
In water there is bacteria."
"Everyone has a hidden talent they don't
know about until the tequila is poured."





Great place. It was a good choice. Check out the menu and history. I thought long and hard about ordering an Italian dish in an Irish pub but the Bucatini Alfredo won out. Really rich so half of it came home with me for a future lunch. 


The Gang:


l. to r. Jo, (brother) Tony and Ray
(Tony please note, no comma after your name)

Jack, once again, takes his hat off for me. He was, after all in
an Irish Pub.

l. to r. Kahty, Doreen, Sara, and Noreen
(for you others: the Oxford comma in place)

And then came dessert time. Unfortunately, Kim the waitress, started on my end of the table to take the orders. I casually told her my choice, "Kathy's" Coconut Creme Pie." Ah, homemade pie. My erroneous assumption was that (eight) others at the table would have dessert as well...au contraire, mon ami. Just me. Had she started at the other end and I heard no one was getting anything, neither would I. I think they decided beforehand that I'd been losing so much weight that that rather than get weak, I should get that extra kick. You know how hard I try being a "good boy" when it comes to "good eating."  So there I was "forcing" myself to enjoy this wonderful dessert.
Waitress left with order too soon for me to either cancel or
ask for a "take out" box to enjoy later. 
After dinner, a walk around town and a visit to the water's edge behind the River Hospital was timed perfectly to catch a beautiful sunset.

                               

In a little sitting area close to the shore, the views up and down the Bay were to be captured.

The view northwest

The view southwest with the River Hospital on the left.


Straight across the Bay, a sunset over Heart Island, at 8:49 p.m.



Boldt Castle just to the right of sunset.
"Construction began on Boldt Castle in 1900 at the bidding of millionaire hotel magnate George C. Boldt (Waldorf Astoria) as a tribute to his beloved wife Louise. Boldt Castle was designed as their summer dream home. A castle rivaling those of Europe, built on the St. Lawrence River, in the heart of the 1000 Islands. However it was not to be, Mrs. Boldt passed away suddenly just months before the completion of the castle. Mr. Boldt was inconsolable and immediately stopped all construction on Heart Island, leaving the property vacant for over seventy years…" Follow the link above for the fascinating story and photos.

Tomorrow night, our Sunset Cruise on July 4th. See you there.




8 comments:

  1. Wow. That pie looked amazing. I would have opted to eat just that for dinner. ๐Ÿค—

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious. I chose it because you don't always see that flavor on menus.

      Delete
  2. What a great choice for dinner. Company and food just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a great group of folks. We had a terrific time.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your great time, commas aside. I once took a tour of Bolt's Castle. Awesome. Gld you are having a good time J&M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks; looking forward to seeing you and M at Normandy Farms.

      Delete
  4. Bolts Castle is fascinating. There’s a huge castle like place in Connamora, Ireland that a wealthy man built for his wife because she fell in love with the area on their honeymoon. When she died after getting sick from food in India he gave the place away to the nuns and never went back. She was young, but did have 9 kids before she died. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. Following you and your writing from Ireland as well. Safe travels and look forward to hearing more about that Emerald Isle. Your photos are super.

      Delete