07/18 - 08/01 Croton Point Park

CROTON'S RV PARK - 2020
My site #39
One resident feline greeted me at the dumpster and looked
perfectly content with my presence and well fed.
Well, here I am once again enjoying the solitude of Croton Point's RV Park, the only RV park in Westchester County. I arrived Saturday after an enjoyable week in Lake George, New York at the Lake George Riverview Campground with friends from the Hudson Islanders. For the next two weeks, I'll be solo but with my Caddy I'll be able to move around to visit, shop, return to my apartment for whatever and to squeeze in some doctor's appointments. In my last blog I mentioned this was my sixth year for taking advantage of the location. Click here for My blog post of 2018 which provides some historical background and memories I've enjoyed here.


107° is outdoor in the SHADE
82° in the coach.
 So far, the big news is the heat waved we've endured for the past three days. Temps in the 90's with a "real feel" heat index of 101°. As with my previous visits, I've requested site #39 on the west side of the road thus insuring complete shade all day long. Winnie's interior is kept at 77° and thus far there's been no strain or constant running of the AC.
Another big news item is the continued impact of the Covid pandemic that lingers everywhere, these days more so in the Sun Belt. I will continue to use a mask when in the company of others; the Park has banned groups of 10 or more in picnic area below, the beach is open from Wednesday through Sundays only and there are no fires allowed including grills and BBQs.  On Tuesday, I took this video for friend Tony at Sakura showing the empty beach area on a 92° in the middle of July.
And these are the sites around me that are vacant as of Thursday. Lots of room that I think will be filled for the weekend.  As the days blended one day into the next no campers pulled in for more than two days, Here today, gone tomorrow (or the next day). I remain one of the few on my road.





The sky to my southeast indicates someone will receive
the full impact of what's been predicted



For Croton? Very light rain



Friday, a day of firsts. It was the first day I was able to sit outside in the comfortable 82° shade and for dinner, I made my first time ever homemade calzone.  It wasn't too bad. Easy to make: pizza dough pressed into a circle; in the center, layer shredded mozzarella and ricotta cheese; top with another layer of mozzarella; fold over and pinch the edge shut with a fork; Bake at 500° (my microwave goes up to only 450°) for 20 minutes. It was tasty with marinara dipping sauce but I think I prefer the real thing made by the real calzone people. 


Jenny, Annie & Sharon
A Saturday night treat for myself was to run down to Hastings to pick up my fifth take out meal since returning from Florida in March and being locked down. It's always nice to see my old friends who continue to work very hard. One can imagine what the temperature in the kitchen must be...any kitchen in any restaurant for that matter. The very generous portions of goodies tonight will be eaten over the span of ? day(s).
House Green Salad



Rocky Shrimp Tempura Appetizer
Charlie Roll: 8 pcs Spicy shrimp and Kani, Avocado inside
topped with 
Lobster Salad, Mango and Wasabi Tobiko 

And for dessert...

Tiramisu
Mochi Ice Cream is a confection made from
Japanese mochi (pounded sticky rice with
an ice cream filling. Tonight vanilla and
mango.
Fast forward, as days usually do, and the weekend came and went with nothing exciting to report other than the constant temperature and heat indices hovering in the high 90s. As I drove past the crowded beach on my way out to Fishkill, I noticed large groups of people with very few wearing masks. Yes, at the entrance as cars drive and pay for parking, all are wearing masks. Signage at entrance to park encourages the wearing of masks and proper social distancing. The visit, of course, was delightful and once again gave my mother and me more mental stimulation. 
I'm going to end this phase of my stay here at CPP on site 39. My next blog will be from site 44. See you there

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blogs!!!!! And, I love Croton Point Park. Never saw it so empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Unknown, whoever you are; always nice to hear someone enjoying the sharing. Another day gone by and no one in my old site #39.

    ReplyDelete