09/07 - 09/15 - Moorings Oceanfront RV - Part 2



Cheers!
Welcome back. My week long stay in BelfastMaine, continues. On TUESDAY the heavy overnight rain gave way to a beautiful view of clouds and a blue sky.  I took a walk along the path at the southern most point of the campground looking for new and different subject matter to photograph for my blog and add to my many memories of my fifth year in Maine. Of all things, it was the variety of rocks that make up the embankment along the path that caught my eye.  My training was in biology but it didn't stop me from appreciating the wonders of the other disciplines such as geology or astronomy. And so, click, click, to capture some interesting specimens that prompted questions like, "how and when were they formed?" "How did they get here?" All I remember from the old days were the types of rock: sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic. I guess that would explain how they were made and with this area of North America, glaciers would probably explain their presence. Rather than take up reading time and space in this blog, I've created a link where, if you're interested, you can see all that captured my interest. CLICK HERE FOR ROCK PHOTOSYou can probably guess which types are included in the samples below:


What caused those slits?





Paula, Joe, Barbara (2015)
Tuesday night's dinner with cousins John and wife, Barbara (B&J) was, as usual, delicious. Along with their long time friends, Joe and Paula, I enjoyed a seared and grilled swordfish steak that had been marinated in lemon juice and herbs, whipped smooth and creamy mashed potatoes and farm market fresh corn on the cob brought up by B&J from Medfield, MA, where they live. With a fresh salad and a homemade apple pie using apples from the farm market topped with vanilla ice cream for dessert, dinner was a total success and delight.
As you can see, Whitey and...
....Gracie were thrilled to see me.
Wednesday morning I set my alarm for 6:00 am to catch a sunrise. I have a thing about the magnificence of sunrises (and sunsets as well for that matter) and at this campground, there's a great easterly view. As you know, you cannot rush Mother Nature. So, while waiting for the 6:11 am sunrise, I captured some other sights for my collection:
Looking east at low tide





At the base of the campground

Across the bay, a very early morning fog bank over Belfast.
And precisely on time...again...our sun is set to make its appearance.
Like magic, the subtle change of colors occur
right before your eyes. From bright, yet soft pink hues...
...to the stark gold tones, the sun announces its arrival.



Again, our life giving star gives us another day. Thank you!



Crab Rangoon and homemade Spring Rolls

Top: Homemade coconut ice cream
Bottom: Homemade Ginger ice cream
Wednesday, I had to catch up on a whole lot of nothing and got ready for a short visit from B&J around noon. We decided to catch a Thai lunch a short distance away at Rice and Noodle Thai Restaurant. Right on the main road, Route 1, the establishment is in dire need of a complete makeover; it's outer appearance, from landscaping to tidying up the building itself would turn most folks away. We were the only patrons on this Wednesday afternoon. B-U-T all that notwithstanding, a click on the red link above will show an incredibly varied and extensive list of menu items and our choices were outstanding. It will be visited again.


John's friend, Jim, hosted our sampling; a
most knowledgeable friend who's been serving
(volunteering) for the past five years.
Thursday we went to The Cellar Door Winery in Lincolnville, ME.  We made the wine tasting portion of their program which follows a tour of the winery in the 200 year old barn. When you click on the link for their neatly constructed website, their slogan may catch your eye as it did mine: "Live your life. Be who you are. Drink good wine along the way."  Loved it. I'm eager to try their Chardonnay: "Our Chardonnay’s rich mouthfeel is complemented by notes of grilled pineapple, lemon meringue and crushed vanilla bean." The photos I took have been consolidated into a separate page. CLICK ON THIS LINK TO SEE them all. It was at Jim's suggestion that in addition to the Chardonnay described above I try a red, Aurora. This 2015 Australian blend of 52% Syrah, 29% Cabernet Sauvignon and 19% Cabernet Franc was described as "Big and boisterous, yet soft and silky with flavors of dark cherry, mulled plum and cocoa nib." I'll try to let it sit and age yet cannot wait to enjoy it.  
Barb in the upper tasting room

From there, my thank you dinner for B&J took us to The Waterfront Restaurant in Camden.  
We met Joe and his assistant, Marilyn and enjoyed yet another delicious meal. Be sure to check out their menu choices from the link above. We chose to sit indoors.


Even though Labor Day marked the end of their "season,"
tour boats continued their regular hour long tours. Even with

kids back in school, the town was bustling with out-of-towners.
Yes, I know, they're also known as tourists.


Barb & John

Not a good shot but one of the many large schooners passed
by. Marilyn filled me in on some of the famous ones in this port.
Appetizer: Phyllo Wrapped Baked Brie.
Imported Brie served with an apple walnut slaw
and zucchini bread and seedless grapes.
I had one of the specials, a broiled Parmesan coated haddock with
grilled Brussels
 sprouts and a uniquely flavored and
tasty whipped butternut squash. Outstandin
g. 
 

Flown in from The Little Shop of Horrors, we encountered
the largest sunflower on our way out that had....

...an affection for Barbara.
On Friday, Barbara wanted to hike a particular trail in Acadia, a mere 50 minute ride from my campsite. I twisted John's arm and persuaded him to help me sit nearby or at the end of her trek and perhaps tour the area for some great area shots for this blog while she did her thing. It was four years ago when I did make that hike with them. Those photos can be seen by CLICKING ON THIS LINK and for the accompanying blog, CLICK HERE. Great memories to look back upon...wow, four years ago. This year, while Barb hiked, John took me to two locations, Thuya Gardens and Otter Cliffs. Once again with so many photos taken, I'll give a sample or two here and links to the rest.  THUYA GARDEN PHOTOS HERE  The gardens were originally designed and built in 1956 - 1961 by Charles K. Savage, a long-time resident of Northeast Harbor, along with financial support from John D. Rockefeller. The garden exhibits an English style influence with special input from Beatrix Farrand so that it will incorporate the unique character of the Maine coast. 



Hand carved wooden cedar doors by...
...the grandson of George Savage,
Augustus D. Philips




A weed...

...a rose and a thorn.


My next stop was Otter Cliff on the southern coastline of Mt. Desert Island, the location of Acadia National Park, and is the second largest island (square miles) on the Eastern coast second only to Long Island and ahead of Martha's Vineyard.

I observed Otter Cliff from Boulder Beach. The photos will explain the name.

Worn smooth over time from the never ending pounding surf.

Otter Cliff in the distance...

...zoomed. With no fencing or rails, observers love to
get right up to the edge to take advantage
of the view...and give me the "willies."

From Google Earth's perspective

My video of Boulder Beach in Acadia.  An awesome experience.

For lunch we traveled to Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard, Maine on the island. From your seat above the harbor, you'll see the lobster boats return to the restaurant's wharf with the day's catch. The crew carries those same lobsters up to the tanks in the restaurant. It doesn't get any fresher than that!




Your choice: small, medium or large. The menu starts with prices
for the meal (sides and drinks)...then you add the price of the
lobster based on its weight. They serve both hard and soft shelled lobsters.
Joey's crabcake sandwich on a grilled bun with lettuce,
chipotle aioli and potato chips.


How you can tell you're in Maine.
And so, on Saturday, it all ends. After breakfast with B&J and Joe at The Hoot in Northport, I take off for Saco, ME for a two night stay at the KOA I visited on the way up. Do read up on this great 'Farm to Table" restaurant and its menu. It's their farm that provides all the 'ingredients' for their very unique menu selections. 
Winnie says good bye to its...
...cousin, a Navion, a few sites away.

Good bye, Gus
And good bye Friday evening Happy Hours. 












Hope you've enjoyed my stay in Maine. I'll finish the Saco/Old Orchard Beach KOA blog and then on to Fishermans Memorial State Park in Narragansett, RI. Looking forward to seeing my granddaughter, Sara, and our date at Kon Asian Bistro in East Greenwich, RI. Till next time, take care and stay safe and dry.

4 comments:

  1. Miscellaneous comments:
    Loved the photo of the weed.
    I would have ordered the phyllo wrapper Brie too.
    Lots of rocks.
    Get an extra Chardonnay before you leave and bring it to Florida.
    You seem to be getting very spiritual.
    Thanks for the links to further my geology education - I never paid attention in school.
    As always, safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts. Always enjoy what other people think about my blogs. You're one of the ol' stand-bys. Folks do tell me, however, that they try to comment via the blog site but it doesn't work. To those folks I say. "Send me an email. I'd love to hear from you."
      Bought only one Chardonnay and I will keep if for the week of 2/11/19.

      Delete
  2. That’s quite a spread for your Happy Hours and the pictures of restaurant food....well, what can I say? Looks delicious! I guess I’m focusing on food right now because I’m hungry and it’s too late to eat. ๐Ÿ˜‚ . You are definitely a rolling stone. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. Like everything else in life, food and travel are to be enjoyed. While I'm able, I will. Not all things are forever.

      Delete