![]() |
| Site 18 |
The speed limit on the Florida Turnpike is 70 mph, on I-95, 65 mph. Those are the speeds I maintained but to those who blew past me, it must've been a suggestion. I was told by a Floridian a long time ago that you can't call Florida drivers bad drivers because they're all transplants from New York or the northeast. Today, as I pulled into the campground and shared my ride with the owner, a native Floridian, he responded with, "Not so, They're all aggressive drivers no matter where they're from." And so it seemed. Speeding, weaving and failure to use turn signals is probably the way things are all over, not just Florida. Anyway, it was a good four hour trip and relaxation now is the number one item on my agenda. I have a very full agenda that I look forward to sharing with you in two parts as the days go by. Through most of the drive, the temperature hovered around 88-90° with intermittent clouds. As I had nothing to eat since my wonderful meal at Ray and Kathy's last night, I went right across the street to Tim Finnegan's Irish Pub after setting up and had dinner.
Check out the menu for their authentic Irish fare. I'm hoping one of my Irish visitors this week will enjoy some time there. Stay tuned.This is my second stay here at DelRaton. This family owned RV park was established in 1973 and what a piece of real estate they have. It's nothing like the RV parks that come to mind with acres and acres of sites and amenities. There are only sixty sites and the reason why reservations a year ahead are necessary. Their proximity to the beach and shopping is the appeal for these long term or seasonal campers. Since their beginnings, this part of S Federal has grown and they find themselves nestled in among car dealerships. When you turn south off Linton Blvd and drive the half mile to this site you'll pass dealerships for: Chrysler Dodge, Lincoln, Nissan, Cadillac, Buick, Honda, the RV park, and next door, the Ford dealership. That's a lot real estate filled with automobiles and I'm not talking one huge lot with all those brands; each is a business unto itself. With the average income of a
Tuesday I met long time friends, Missy and Jim from nearby Boynton Beach. Jim (Social Studies) and I (Biology/Computers) worked together at Blue Mountain Middle School. They took me into Delray on Atlantic Avenue to Deck 84, a casual waterfront restaurant (which was packed). You knew it was President's Week and at the height of their season. And with the snow birds in abundance, it was no wonder we had to wait 10-15 minutes for a table...at 1:30 in the afternoon, no less. Well worth the wait, of course. We had good conversations and the updates on all our kids (and grandchildren) kept us busy...our Margaritas and Mojitos were good too.
![]() |
|
poached pear, brie, miso bacon brittle,
lemon-balsamic reduction, baby arugula
|
![]() |
|
cilantro-lime coleslaw, house-pickled jalapeƱo,
crema, charred tomato salsa
|
![]() |
|
pineapple salsa
|
![]() |
|
Romaine, cave aged blue cheese, grilled chicken,
Tomato Thyme roma tomato, egg, applewood bacon,
avocado, red wine vinaigrette
|
| The massive Atlantic Avenue bridge opening for the Lady Atlantic |
| Captain Jim and his yacht. |
| Thank you Missie and Jim for chauffeuring and getting together for a great lunch. |
| An amazing sight to see; cogs and wheels lifting the massive amount of steel making up the bridge. Click on this link to see how it works. |
![]() |
| Same pose as with Winnie I |
Wednesday was another thoroughly gorgeous, relaxing day. The temperature was steady at 80° and the stiff 18 mph coming in from the ocean made it feel like sitting in front of a fan. The only 'activity' I had planned for today was to meet friend, Dina, for Happy Hour. We went down the street to Sardinia Enoteca Ristorante located in the WalMart mall. There, we met Dina's sister, Kathy, and enjoyed a Margarita pizza and a bottle of Simi Chardonnay. Delicious and delightful. 













Aloha...& don't you love to rub it in to the folks back home this time of year ??? hahaha
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you enjoying your day, laters, love Honolulu Barbara
No. I dare not rub it in because I may wind up driving home in it the weekend of 3/4th.
ReplyDeleteThose plates of food had me drooling. Looked like a nice place you went to with the Ahren’s. So glad you squeezed in a visit with Dina too. Enjoy.
ReplyDeleteI've been so lucky to be able to squeeze all the visits in such a short time frame and doing it over fine wine and dining enhances the memories, as you know. Without making God laugh, my future will have more of the same for longer periods of time.
DeleteOK. I finally get it. Your idea of RVing is not what we know as RVing. You go Restaurant Visiting!!! Good for you, Charlie!! Thanks for the blog!! Keep 'em coming!!!
ReplyDeleteAhh, interesting observation. Guilty as charged, I guess. Let me know what your idea of RVing is (when traveling along...with no tow).I guess Ubers and car rentals are available but I choose not to go that route.
DeleteJimmy hasn't changed one lick. The snow didn't get to an inch before it changed to sleet, then rain. I had to leave here at 8:15am for dr. apt. today and roads were fine. The problems came from the ice bombs falling from the trees and wires and the ice sheets flying at you from the roof of the car in front of you.
ReplyDeleteM.