Friday, February 8, 2019. Greetings and welcome to what I hope is the first of many opportunities to share my travel adventures with you, my friend. It's been a long time and we retired folks easily slip into ruts during a hiatus between travel adventures. For me, it's been from the end of September until now, the 8th of February, five months. The time passed quickly (?). My routines were varied, enjoyable and memorable. And when that countdown began, a whole new routine began: paying closer attention to the unpredictable weather patterns, shopping for groceries needed for the trip (and deciding when is enough, too much), making sure the RV is up and ready to roll with weekly checking (will the repaired refrigerator keep things cold/frozen? Will the battery be charged sufficiently to start?). Then there was the packing and endless lists of "To Do's" before taking off. All of it could be overwhelming but this is my fifth year and even with a new RV, the routine is (sort of) mundane. I'll skip over the "TMI" problems encountered and get right to today, "Opening Day."
When I awoke at 4:30 a.m., the visibility out my window to the west was less the 50 yards; the densest fog I've ever seen. The thought of driving in it was disconcerting. I saw nothing. By 10:30 a.m. the sun broke through the low hanging, quickly moving cloud cover and the sunshine was a nice omen. So, after making several trips back and forth to my apartment and loading the perishables and checking lists over and over, I finally set off and was on the road by 11:45 a.m. Anticipating a four hour trip was nice on paper. In reality, I arrived at the Washington DC/Capitol KOA campground about 6:00 p.m., more like a six hour drive. A pit stop on the Jersey Turnpike and a fuel stop in Aberdeen, MD cost me time as expected. Ahh, the Shell gas station in Aberdeen, MD. I was getting $.30 off per gallon ($2.579/gal vs. $3.09 locally) and was fixated on how nice the savings were as I watched the amount being recorded on the pump. "Imagine, if you will," being called by the driver on the opposite side of my pump saying, "SIR, you're spilling!" Yup, the gas pump Gods decided that the automatic shutoff on this nozzle will not work today. Spillage was at last a half gallon before I disengaged the pump and not before diesel covered my running board and splashed onto my shoes. Curse, curse. I reported the spill to the proprietor who didn't seem fazed at all. The diesel fuel smell has lessened in the coach but I think I've become "nose blind" to the odor. The shoes are wrapped tight in a plastic bag and I'll deal with the specific procedure to follow for removing such odors from clothing, carpeting, etc., something to try in the coming days.
Saturday, February 9, 2019
A long drive along I-95, another stop for diesel and, are you ready for this? What are the chances that at a second Shell station, the automatic shutoff valve at the nozzle did not work...again spilling another quantity of diesel? Can you remember the last time such an event happened to you at the pump? I reported and complained to a manager...or the gal who works the register and when I tried to email my concern to Shell via my online account, the link didn't work. So be it. More cat litter used (I hope) to pick up the mess.
It was gratifying to see the Lumberton KOA well populated with RVs of all sizes. Clean and well run. Jessica greeted me and when I found out nearby Zeno's Italian restaurant delivered pizza, my dinner plans were made. To get to the delivery amount minimum I ordered a small plain pizza, a side salad and mozzarella sticks w/sauce. The pizza was dinner and the salad and mozzarella sticks was to be my lunch tomorrow as I'm traveling next to Georgia. As I found out the next morning, the huge crowd that had pulled in while I was there were probably the ones pulling out the next morning; lots of overnighters like me.
Sunday, February 10, 2019
Another great day for driving. Traffic wasn't that bad. I enjoy driving 70 mph on average and getting behind or ahead of an 18-wheeler and just keep the pace for miles and miles. There were lots of NY plate passing me but the highlight? I soon needed to fill up again. Seems I can get about 260-270 miles to a tank of diesel and I've been averaging 14-15 mpg. With a bit of a cloud hanging over me, I was making mental bets to see if I would be three for three in the spillage category. I chose Citgo this time and hooray, no problems. Yes, that was the highlight. Can you imagine? I stopped at the Georgia Welcome Center and enjoyed my salad and mozzarella sticks. The KOA here in Kingsland, GA was even more packed. After leaving temps in the 20's, I arrived with temps climbing to 60°. Folks seem to be eager to get on the move. If they're headed north I wonder if they know what they're heading into. It doesn't look pretty.

Monday, February 11, 2019





Aloha...and how exciting to hear of your recent adventures ! Didn't realize it was your departure day since we were so caught up in our own weather "emergency" over here ! Glad all went smoothly on the ride down & you're now experiencing the warmth of the sun ! All the best, laters, love Barbara
ReplyDeleteThanks, Barb. Always nice to hear from you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the nice Blog, Charlie. Glad you arrived safe and sound in spite of the overflow. Imagine if it caught.... well I won't go there You know what I mean Deja vue all over again as Yogi would say. Enjoy!!! J&M
ReplyDeleteThanks John and yes, the thought flit through my mind but that nano second went fast. I don't even use the phrase, "What are the chances?" anymore. But two non-working nozzles? What are the chances? LOL.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are in the warm weather. You escaped the impending ice storm here in the northeast. Schools already closed. My granddaughter Elena is especially happy to have her 18th birthday off, though!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Elena. Hope she enjoyed her special day. Blink, blink, times a'flyin. My granddaughter, Sara, will turn 25 in April.
DeleteHi Charlie - sorry for all the spillage events you've encountered but you are far south and out of the range of the crazy weather pattern which has yet to show up in the NE!! Enjoy company, food and warm weather!!
ReplyDeleteYes, Sonj, I'm doing just that. Food, company and warm weather. I cannot ask for anything better than that. I spoke with a neighbor today and when I asked about the weather he said, "Well, right now, we have 'white out' conditions." :-O Stay safe, warm and cozy.
DeleteCharlie, Just an FYI. I have the same issue on my Winnebago Adventurer. I never fill anymore. I just calculate how many gallons to add and never get too close to fill. While researching the issue, I read that it has something to do with the actual gas tank and how the air inside signals to shut off. Something about the tank installation, angle...whatever! Just Google it for a better explanation since my senior brain can't recall all the details! I guess some trucks have the same problem.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to FL! Roberta
Thanks Roberta, I'll do that. Never had the problem with Winnie I...same everything. And have filled Winnie II 22 times, 4 times with Shell. Simple solution: more care when filling. See you soon.
DeleteSay "hi" to those that I know when you run into them. Maybe I should have said when you visit with them. M.
ReplyDeleteHad dinner with Ray/Kathy tonight along with Vicki/George and they all send their hello's. Enjoy your 2-5". PS. Doesn't matter if they're right or wrong, it's still nasty; stay safe.
DeleteWe got 0" of snow.
ReplyDeleteAs you predicted; getting "more" Wed night into Thursday. LOL
Delete