Welcome back. It's been a short time since leaving the Newport area. I hinted at the end of that blog that I would not bore my readers with the gory details of driving south on Labor Day. As promised, I won't. B-U-T, I have to tell you, traffic was light. My GPS took me the way I wanted to go home, down I-95...to a point...and then over to I-84. Once again, I needed to fuel up and as my odometer reached 300 miles, I pulled into the gas station on Rte 9 and filled. 300+ miles on a tank of diesel. Very pleased. I've been averaging 15-16 mpg. By the time I settled in at Croton Point Park (CPP), I had driven 4½ hours.
I must preface my stay in Wurtsboro, NY, with some notes of my four day stay at CPP. The next day, Tuesday, thanks to the efforts of George, I was driven to Cross River to pick up my Caddy for use in running errands and visiting my mother in Fishkill. I checked things back at my apartment, shopped for food and drink, got a haircut, had a sushi dinner with V/G down at Sakura and efficiently used my limited time to fulfill my needs for the rest of my September trips.
I was fortunate once again to reserve my favorite site, #35. Thickly shaded and
comfortable as it seems, this would be my last time reserving this site. I was plagued with intermittent power outages due to a faulty power source. Thanks to my surge protector, I found the voltage coming in from shore power to be as high as 132 volts rather than the expected 120 volts; this saved the electrical system of my RV. The surge protector cuts electrical power if the voltage exceeds 10% over or under 120 volts. Once the voltage is back within range, the surge protector will allow electrical power to resume. No circuit breakers were tripped; power just cut out and left me relying on coach batteries. After a few minutes, electricity returned. My next stay (9/15 to 9/29) will find me next door at site 37.
On Friday with Dorian creeping up the east coast, I made the hour+ trip to the Catskill Adventure Resort in Wurtsboro, NY. I do not anticipate any related problems but its track as I/we move up near Maine may prove otherwise.
This portion of my ongoing travels into Maine is being written while I'm settled here in Belfast. So I'm condensing the Catskill Rally and my overnight stay at Keyser Pond Campground into one blog.
The Catskill Adventure Resort, as usual, was terrific and Dorian was so far out to sea that it posed no threat to us. Owner, Barry, once again provided breakfasts Saturday and Sunday mornings and a turkey dinner Saturday night...the only thing missing was cranberries. An outstanding and filling meal with either apple or pumpkin pie w/whipped cream. No, no food photos. Use your imagination. Just some random shots of the "meet and greet" and Saturday afternoon meeting are included here. Campfires were perfect with an unexpected rain causing an early end one night. Ten RVs were represented which is a very nice turnout: Besides ACR, Johnny and Roberta there was Doreen & Tony, Dawn & John, Beth & Todd, Roberta & Erve, Sharon & Bob, Kathy & Ray, Fran & Walter, Sonia & Jim, Carole & John. Some photos from the event.
| Site 35 - Quiet, level and comfortably shaded |
comfortable as it seems, this would be my last time reserving this site. I was plagued with intermittent power outages due to a faulty power source. Thanks to my surge protector, I found the voltage coming in from shore power to be as high as 132 volts rather than the expected 120 volts; this saved the electrical system of my RV. The surge protector cuts electrical power if the voltage exceeds 10% over or under 120 volts. Once the voltage is back within range, the surge protector will allow electrical power to resume. No circuit breakers were tripped; power just cut out and left me relying on coach batteries. After a few minutes, electricity returned. My next stay (9/15 to 9/29) will find me next door at site 37.
On Friday with Dorian creeping up the east coast, I made the hour+ trip to the Catskill Adventure Resort in Wurtsboro, NY. I do not anticipate any related problems but its track as I/we move up near Maine may prove otherwise.
This portion of my ongoing travels into Maine is being written while I'm settled here in Belfast. So I'm condensing the Catskill Rally and my overnight stay at Keyser Pond Campground into one blog.
The Catskill Adventure Resort, as usual, was terrific and Dorian was so far out to sea that it posed no threat to us. Owner, Barry, once again provided breakfasts Saturday and Sunday mornings and a turkey dinner Saturday night...the only thing missing was cranberries. An outstanding and filling meal with either apple or pumpkin pie w/whipped cream. No, no food photos. Use your imagination. Just some random shots of the "meet and greet" and Saturday afternoon meeting are included here. Campfires were perfect with an unexpected rain causing an early end one night. Ten RVs were represented which is a very nice turnout: Besides ACR, Johnny and Roberta there was Doreen & Tony, Dawn & John, Beth & Todd, Roberta & Erve, Sharon & Bob, Kathy & Ray, Fran & Walter, Sonia & Jim, Carole & John. Some photos from the event.
| At the far end of our area, someone caught a glimpse of this small family of deer. |
![]() |
| Another visitor |
Sunday afternoon I and five others left leaving the remaining five to enjoy an extra day in very good weather. Some had that "W" thing going on that required their presence, hence their reluctant departure. You know, the four-letter "W" curse word. Me? I had a 4½ hour drive to Henniker, NH at the Keyser Pond Campground for an overnighter.
| Keyser Pond |
| Very scenic and typically New Hampshire |
| I was adjacent to the play area |
| Sandy beach volleyball |
| Community fire pit |
| Road to exit at the end of my site. |
| Spacious site |
For an overnight stay, it was most satisfactory; quiet and clean. The owner escorted me to my back-in site and made sure I was okay. Monday by 10 am, I was on the road again headed for Belfast, ME.
My five day stay at Moorings Oceanfront RV Resort will be covered in my next blog. Stay tuned and stay warm.








No comments:
Post a Comment