| The roadway entrance provided scenic views to the left and right while approaching the camp store and registration office. |
![]() |
| My site down among the Pines toward the left of this photo taken from their web page |
| My site was level...with a little help you can see under my driver's side wheel. I just needed electricity. |
| The campground is huge and loaded with kids. The usual crowd of old timers and their 2-3 dogs were also in abundance. |
| There are 8 sites in the Pines that make up a semi-circle. |
| That wonderful sound of pitter pattering rain on my roof came in the middle of the night and by daybreak, the sun was shining with the hint that the drive would be beautiful. |
| Although taken through my front windshield, I tried to capture the first depressing fact of life; that with the leaves changing colors, summer is over and fall then winter will be upon us. |
![]() |
Croton Point Park has a fascinating history. Oyster shell middens show Native Americans inhabited here 7,000 years ago. A midden is an archaeological term for a pile of trash left by humans long gone and oyster middens are some of the oldest and largest piles of intact garbage dating from after the late ice age. From the website, Croton Point Park History, I added some history to what I already knew of this area. "Croton is, in fact, named for the Indian sachem (a chief especially of the Algonquian Confederation), Kenoten, which means "wild wind.” In the 17th century, Indians of the Kitchawank tribe on the Wappinger Confederacy occupied a large fortified village on the high flat at the neck of Croton Point, which they called Navish. This was one of the most ancient and formidable Indian fortresses south of the Hudson Highlands. A marsh known by the Indians as “Senasqua” separates the Point from Croton Neck, and a plaque marks the spot where a peace treaty was signed with the Kitchawank tribe." The acquisition from Indians in the 1600's, the families that owned the property as well as the products that originated on this site like wine and brick are all part of the interesting story.
![]() |
| Plaque is found at the entrance to the RV portion of the park. |
![]() |
| The monument was erected in 1960 |
| Upon my arrival, a quick glance showed most sites in my area were unoccupied. This view faces southeast. |
| Facing northeast |
| Across from my site; I thought I'd have a quiet, solitary experience. Arriving on a Sunday, I knew better; that's when everyone leaves. |
| My cozy, comfortable home away from home... |
| ...with its purposely tilted awning for rain to run off the far end |
| Most likely a dead branch; but it was a reminder of what was to come. |
| Although the true color doesn't show up, this Sycamore shows how the lack of rain will influence the coming Fall foliage; Seems a lot of trees are going from green to brown. Not nice. |
| Thank you, Sgt. Andrew Smith, former US Army paratrooper from the 82nd Airborne Division. Lives in Tennessee. |
| I can't help but think of all the sites I visited that remained on Winnie I when I left it in Georgia. |
![]() |
| A tree rat has learned to take advantage of a leaky faucet connection. |
Watch a short time lapse video clip of a spider building a web HERE. Judy, do not click on this link...You're welcome.
| This one found on the edge of my awning. |
![]() |
| Diane & Stella |










As always, loved your blog. Thanks for Sharing~
ReplyDeleteTrying for the 4th time to post. Well written, but a bit gloomy with all the talk about the approaching winter season. Spring will be here before you know it. :-)
ReplyDelete